薄荷绿茶

Saturday, June 12, 2004

12th June 2004 Saturday

Today is a day of mixed feelings for me. Went to work as usual today. Saw a little girl who was once a super quiet girl and seemed to be very sad whenever she comes to the enrichment centre. She seem to be happier today and most importantly, more cheerful. Very happy that she finally could find a little enjoyment out of the centre. Used to have a hard time getting her to even talk in the past. Now she can tell me jokes. Woah......

But why would I say a day with mixed feelings. That is because I am feeling guilty about making her take up another subject at the centre. Wasn't my wish. Her mother and my boss wanted her to take but I was the person who pursuaded her to take up the subject willingly. Feeling guilty as I think it might put her under more pressure judging from the homework that the schools in Singapore give now, not mentioning the many tuitions she might have. But I reckon that the result would be the same anyway. Even if I didn't pursuade her, her mother would. *Sigh* Guess mothers should know their own limits. No doubt that studying would do a child good but too much studying might make them dread books and might cause undesirable effects instead. Don't you all think so? Think we should balance between play and work for the child and not put too much pressure on them, not mentioning even depriving them of their childhood. Perhaps that's why I usually try to make the time at the centre a bit more bearable for the kids by crapping with them and cracking jokes. Or maybe that is because I am a crapster myself. Anyway, just very happy that a couple of kids there are more cheery now compared to the past. =p