薄荷绿茶

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

3rd August 2005 Wednesday

Reached school rather early in the morning today. It was early despite the fact that I have eight thrity classes. On my way to class, I brushed across an old man sweeping the dead leaves off the floor. Spent a little time observing him subconsciously since I was early and the amount of dead leaves that have covered the floor since the last time I saw it simply astonished me. I have never really taken notice of dead leaves covering the floor but I don't recall any scenes of leave littered school floors as I searched my memory. Of course leaves do fall and cover the floor everyday. Hence, it simply amazed me as I have never really thought of how the school floors remain relatively clean throughout my University days. Well, you could say I took it for granted. Reflecting back, it just dawned on me the tremendous amount of things we have always taken for granted. The roads along Orchard seem to decorate themselves with every passing festival. Hotel toilets seem to clean themselves with every use. Rubbish chutes seem to empty themselves even before they become full. Leaves seem to lift themselves off the floor and disappear after everyday. Even the meals that your Mum cook. Ever pause to appreciate how they always turn up whenever you are hungry? The sun that never fails to rise everyday. The rains that keep the temperature and humidity under control. The stars that offer lost travellers with directions. The shooting star that you wished upon. How about the rainbow that you have always loved? And a whole lot more things that we have always took for granted because they seem so insignificant.

And know what is the most amazing thing? All these seemingly insignificant things, when taken together form the amazing world that we live in. And who could say that the world is insignificant?

How is it that when no one owes us anything from the beginning, we got all the things we got? Every little thing in life is a gift.